These Christmas snowball cookies start with an easy soft gingerbread cookie recipe with almonds added for crunch and a thick coating of powdered sugar making them totally festive and totally irresistible.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 8 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
SERVINGS: 32 cookies
- 195 g (1 1/2 cups) plain (all purp) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 60 g (1/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup treacle (or molasses)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (95g) roughly chopped almonds
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift together, flour, spices and baking soda and set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the yolk and beat until fully incorporated. Add the treacle and beat well again.
- Add half of the flour mix and beat on very low until it just starts to clump. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined and clumping. Finally, add the almonds and mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (only about 30 seconds).
- Roll small balls (about 2 teaspoons) and sit them 2 inches apart on the baking trays.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, add the cookies to a plastic bag with the icing sugar and gently toss to coat. Transfer to a plate and serve.