This perfect easy Australian pavlova recipe is all you need to create a showstopping dessert to impress your friends and family. 4 ingredients and 20 minutes and you’ll have this beauty in the oven. Top it with whipped cream and seasonal fruits for a truly beautiful dessert.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
COOLING TIME: 6 hours
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 45 minutes
SERVINGS: 8 serves
- 3/4 cup egg whites (approximately 6 large eggs), room temp
- 1 1/2 cups (300g / 10.5oz) caster (superfine) sugar (notes)
- 3 teaspoons corn flour (cornstarch)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar (notes)
- 3/4 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 1 cup mixed fresh fruit (notes)
- Preheat oven to 120C / 245F / 110C fan forced. Trace around an 8 inch cake tin with pencil onto a sheet of baking paper. Place another sheet on top and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, with the whisk attachment (or using a handheld beater), beat the egg whites on low-medium to soft peak stage. About 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, counting to 20 between each. Once all the sugar is all added, increase the speed to medium-high (not highest setting) and continue to whisk until the egg whites are thick and glossy and at stiff peak stage. Test the mixture by rubbing a little between your finger and thumb. It should be smooth. If it is still grainy, keep beating until it is smooth when you test it.
- Sift over the corn flour and cream of tartar and whisk for a few seconds, just long enough to incorporate it in.
- Take the sheet of baking paper with the circle on it and dot little bits of meringue under the corners and press it down onto the tray. Do the same with the second sheet and place that on top.
- Use a spatula to spoon the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and gently coax it into the shape of a circle using the drawn line as a guide. Now make small sweeps from the bottom to the top all the way round and finally level the top out.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours then turn the heat off and leave the pavlova in the oven, undisturbed, for at least 2 hours (notes).
- Once cool, top the pavlova with whipped cream and fresh fruit.