This Spiced Christmas Shortbread recipe is the classic shortbread you know and love but coated in your favourite Christmas spices.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
SERVINGS: 40 cookies
FOR THE SHORTBREAD:
- 115 g (1 stick / 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g caster (superfine) sugar
- 130 g (1 cup) plain (all-purp) flour
- 40 g rice flour
FOR THE SPICE MIX:
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar (notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Line two cookie trays with baking paper.
- Beat together butter and sugar until lightened and fluffy. Sift together the flour and rice flour, then add to the butter and sugar and beat until incorporated and it starts clumping together.
- On a lightly floured surface, pull the dough together into a ball, then roll it out to about 5mm -6mm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out as many cookies as possible. Re-roll any scraps and cut out more cookies. Use a palette knife to help you to transfer the cookies to the baking tray.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until just starting to turn golden on the edges.
- Mix the spice mix dry ingredients together (not the butter) rubbing between your fingers to distribute everything well.
- Brush the cookies with the melted butter, then flip them over in the spice mix to coat.