These White Chocolate Cranberry Scones make the perfect Christmas scone. Soft, tender and filled with dried cranberries and white chocolate chips, these are the perfect Christmas brunch or breakfast.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
SERVINGS: 8 scones
For the scones:
- 360 g (2 3/4 cups / 12.6oz) plain (all purp) flour
- 1/4 cup icing (powdered / confectioners) sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 50 g (1.8oz) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- zest of half an orange
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup cold milk (put aside 2 teaspoons)
- 1 egg yolk, from a large egg
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup icing (powdered / confectioners) sugar
- 3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F / 180C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, icing sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and orange zest. Pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs. (If you don’t have a food processor, use a pastry cutter or knife to gradually cut the butter into the flour mix.
- Tip the mix into a bowl and gently mix through the choc chips and cranberries by hand.
- Reserve 2 teaspoons of milk, then use a spoon to stir the rest through the dry mixture until you have a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out into a lightly floured surface and gently pull together then flatten the dough into a disk about 1 inch high. Transfer to the prepared baking tray.
- Mix together the reserved milk and egg yolk, then brush over the top of the dough. Use a knife to cut the dough into wedges but don’t move them apart.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes until golden on top. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
For the glaze:
- Mix the icing sugar and extra milk together. Once the scones have cooled a little, drizzle the glaze and. You can let it set a little before serving if you like or serve immediately.